VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
This Sunday is father’s day and if you’re struggling with gift ideas, we have you covered GLAMPING TRIP A glamping break might be the perfect way you and your dad, or your dad and his partner, can escape the hustle and bustle of city life. The beauty of a glamping pod is that you …Read more...
Switch play and try something different It’s Wales vs Switzerland, England vs Croatia, Indoors vs Outdoors: this weekend is set to be another glorious one weather wise and whilst the Euros are drawing you in, the great British summer is luring you out. If the pull of the outdoors is set to triumph, here …Read more...
As the hottest months of the year approach, we can look ahead to lots of upcoming warmth But that’s not to say that the heat doesn’t present some challenges. When it comes to winding down in the evenings, it can be difficult to relax when the temperature doesn’t feel like it’s dropping. So here …Read more...
Southgate’s men looking to end 55 years of hurt It’s coming home … in a manner of speaking. The 16th edition of football’s European Championships, postponed from last year, kicks off this Friday and, for the first time, games are spread across the continent rather than one host nation, although the business end …Read more...
Out of sight, out of mind: the oceans need your help As highlighted in recent controversial Netflix documentary ‘Seaspiracy’, one of the main issues the ocean faces is that this beautiful, vast, cerulean mass masks the devastation which lays beneath. It seems it really is a case of out of sight and out of …Read more...